GPS Speedometer is a speedometer application that uses your phone’s internal GPS module to calculate your current speed and display it with large, easy to read, LCD-like fonts.[more] It will also display your total travel time, your average speed, maximum reached speed, your heading and elevation, a nice compass and forward and lateral accelerations. Two versions are available:
GPS Speedometer Free – free version, supported by ads
GPS Speedometer – paid version (~1$), without ads
– High accuracy. The speed calculated based on GPS data is more accurate than the one displayed by your car’s speedometer
– HUD mode (in this mode, the CPU usage will be higher)
– It supports both imperial and metric units
– 5 predefined color themes available
– It can record your path, speed, distance, and elevation and save them in a KML file (for Google Earth) – just press “Menu”, select “Settings” and “Record track”.
– It can work in the background, so it can record your movement and speed even while you’re talking on the phone. This means that if you really want to exit the application, you have to press “Menu” and select “Exit”.
It requires the following permissions:
– WAKE_LOCK in order to prevent the screen from turning off
– ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION (GPS based location) for reading GPS data
– WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE in order to save the KML file
– INTERNET in order to retrieve ads from ad servers (free version only).